Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: musky location survey on South Fork  (Read 4776 times)
eyancey

Email
« on: August 11, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »

Hello all,

Has anyone encountered any muskies south of Elkton on the South Fork of the Shenandoah?  Just curious if they are this far south as I see that they have been caught near Shenandoah and further north.

Thanks!   Tight lines...
saltycraw

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:05:37 AM »

They are pretty much through out the entire south fork but the best luck is south of elkton.  Too much fishing pressure and canoe/kayak/tubers to the north/upstream.  This years been tough
eyancey

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:18:37 PM »

Thanks very much for your reply!  I might have to take a shot at trying to hook one once the smallmouth action slows down.
saltycraw

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »

I meant to say down stream of Elkton/North is the better fishing.  Good ole Shenandoah flows against the grain.
eyancey

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »

No problem salty.  I'll still give it a shot - I just moved back to the area and live on the south fork south of Elkton, so it's pretty convenient for me to get out if I can find the time.  I was just wondering if they are even to be found this far upstream.
fly

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »

i went sampling with the DGIF this spring on the Shenandoah, but i was lost as soon as we got off I81?Huh

Dont judge a man by the size of his boat, but by the size of his bait
saltycraw

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:59:02 AM »

Fly.  How did the sampling go?  What were the results?  How the hell did you get the opportunity to do that, I would love to do it sometime.
MuskieTom

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »

(tumbleweed blows by)
MtAiryEd

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

Yeah, really. Where did everyone go?
MuskieTom

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »

Well I'll be fishing the Lurray area mostly for smallies from a kayak. Ill have a flipping stick with 80lb test and a whopper plopper. I'll tell ya guys what I see.

eyancey

Email
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »

I'm still here!  I check in periodically to see if anyone has posted.

Over the last two years I've fished my little stretch of the Shenandoah south of Elkton pretty heavily and had one encounter that I believe to be a musky.  It was nearly dark, and I was fishing behind a tree that came down in the derecho.  Using a jitterbug, I hooked a little smallmouth, probably 8" or so.  About 3 seconds after I hooked it something BIG grabbed the smallmouth and took off, breaking my line.  I figure it had to be a musky!  Unfortunately it was too dark to see it.

Admittedly though I haven't done a ton of fishing in the prime months for musky. 

I have not had a lot of luck this season with the smallmouths due to time constraints and poor fishing conditions with all the rain we've received.  If I do find a musky though I'll be sure to report it!
MuskieTom

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 12:06:50 AM »

My trip was cancelled due to all the rain we recieved.  Been doing alot of bass fishing lately, but I definitely want to try it out some time. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: